Our service depends on volunteers willing to give up time to help someone in need. Some positions are backstage roles supporting the organization, while other roles involve being directly involved in someone's escape from abuse.
Together We Can End Violence
Email volunteer@FamiliestoFreedom.org to schedule your orientation where you'll learn more about Families to Freedom and how each position connects to our mission. Positions posted below are our greatest current need. If you have a unique skill or interest that's outside of the positions below, let us know for consideration.
Is It Safe?
The most common question we hear from volunteer candidates is asking about the safety from abusers. We do not pick up clients from their home, and we are not on the scene during police activity. We require that our travelers be in a safe place for pickup such as a police station, fire station, counselor's office, a shelter, a business with security, or other safe place. During volunteer training we discuss contingency planning and how we prepare for all lengths of travel. For specific questions ahead of orientation, call us at 972-885-7020 or email volunteer@FamiliestoFreedom.org.
This is our most high demand position! Volunteer drivers contribute in the most direct and personal way. Taking a day from your routine to drive a person in need to a new home or to a city with shelter could be literally a lifesaving way to serve.
- Drive survivors of domestic violence from a Dallas location to a destination (local or long distance)
- Travel usually begins in the morning
- Most trips require driving at night
- Some trips take a full day to arrive and a full day to return
- Co-drivers encouraged when available (must be registered volunteer with Families to Freedom)
Families to Freedom will provide the vehicle and travel expenses, and we’ll assist you with your trip along the way. We need drivers for all days and hours; you choose your days and range of travel. Must be age 21 or older. Email volunteer@FamiliestoFreedom.org or call 972-885-7020 for more information about this position. Orientation is about 90 minutes to ensure this is a good fit for your schedule and interest. Training and onboarding takes about 3 hours conducted in our office.
You can take part in helping hundreds of women and children get to shelter or family far away. This position requires working 2-3 business days in our office in an operations assistance role. Tasks and workload will vary day to day and include the following functions on a regular basis:
- Prepare travel bags for clients and volunteer drivers
- Discuss client travel plans with volunteer drivers
- Assist with travel analysis after trips (costs, miles, driver feedback)
- Create travel itineraries for scheduled bus riders using Word or Google Docs
- Book tickets for clients traveling by bus, commercial flight or train
- Reserve rental vehicles when needed for road trips
- Track volunteer drivers on trips and notify them of traffic or weather concerns
- Arrange for pick up or drop off of material donations (car seats and luggage)
- Keep travel materials in the office organized
- Occasionally handle calls when lines are busy
- Travel at least one trip with a client as part of training (all travel expenses paid)
Some days will be fast paced while others will be slow and leisurely. Volunteer candidates will interview for this position to ensure it’s an ideal fit. A block schedule of 2-3 days in a row during normal business hours is required.
Soft skills needed to perform well include:
- Able to identify with women's issues and understand feminism in our society
- Comfort building rapport with team members
- Comfort in being politely assertive when needed
- Personal time management
- Able to remain calm and focused when under pressure or surrounded by distraction
- Comfort delegating and soliciting help from others
Must be comfortable navigating basic computer programs, smartphone apps and internet browsers. Must be age 21 or older. Email volunteer@FamiliestoFreedom.org or call 972-885-7020 for more information about this position. Orientation is about 90 minutes to ensure this is a good fit for your schedule and interest. Training may span several weeks conducted in our office.
Hotline Phone Advocate
Families to Freedom seeks the assistance of a volunteer to answer hotline calls. This is an onsite position that requires listening skills with empathy, the ability to remain calm during stressful conversations, the ability to make quick decisions, and a maintain a pleasant and professional demeanor. Create your own schedule that you can commit to during normal business hours.
Duties to expect include:
- Gathering information to plan for a caller's travel needs
- Providing emotional support to some callers
- Helping victims with safety planning
- Refer callers to area shelters and other support agencies
- Providing referrals for other services
- Contacting a client’s family or shelter for travel coordination
- Contacting volunteers to coordinate client travel
Must be able to demonstrate exemplary phone etiquette. Must be comfortable navigating basic computer programs, smartphone apps and internet browsers. Office environment is an open workspace in a cozy, casual atmosphere. ¿Habla español? Bilingual help would be amazing but is not required. Email volunteer@FamiliestoFreedom.org or call 972-885-7020 for more information about this position. Orientation is about 90 minutes to ensure this is a good fit for your schedule and interest. Training may take several weeks conducted in our office.
We are seeking the assistance of volunteers with travel planning and tracking. This is an onsite or offsite position to assist volunteer drivers before and during travel. Times often involve non-business hours including some late night hours or weekends. Ideal candidates need to be comfortable reading maps, able to interpret traffic and weather that may impact driving conditions.
- Assess the transportation needs of our travelers
- Coordinate with office volunteers on anticipated traveler needs
- Tracking client travels for traffic and weather alerts
This position offers flexible work times for onsite or offsite as your choice. Email volunteer@FamiliestoFreedom.org or call 972-885-7020 for more information about this position.
Child Passenger Safety Seat Coordinator
You can play a part in helping us secure car seats for our youngest travelers. This position involves:
- Picking up donated car seats from area donors porches and businesses that donate their seats to us
- Screening the seats for signs of defect, expiration dates and recall notices
- Delivering seats to a volunteer for cleaning
- Delivering seats to or from our storage, or to or from our office
Duties can be performed on a schedule you set! Volunteers to this role should expect to use their own vehicle. Reimbursement for miles driven in this role is available. Must be able to lift 20 pounds and must be physically fit to handle walking up steps. Email volunteer@FamiliestoFreedom.org or call 972-885-7020 for more information about this position. Orientation is about 90 minutes to ensure this is a good fit for your schedule and interest. Training and onboarding takes about 1 hour conducted in our office.
We are seeking the assistance of volunteers with having a presence at public events. This is a great position for anyone upbeat, enthusiastic and outgoing! Role duties include:
- Identify public events with table or booth space
- Table decoration, setup, and take-down
- Greet table visitors to inform & engage about our mission
- Act as an advocate for domestic violence discussions with survivors
- Report on event results
This position requires weekend availability and sometimes weekday evenings. Details provided during orientation. Email volunteer@FamiliestoFreedom.org or call 972-885-7020 for more information about this position.
Hundreds of pilots travel alone for personal or work reasons each day. Put your pilot skills to great use by letting someone ride with you! Being a volunteer pilot with Families to Freedom helps a person in need get far away from their abuser or stalker by flying them to a destination in your aircraft. Donating your flight expenses is tax deductible.
Email volunteer@FamiliestoFreedom.org or call 972-885-7020 for more information about this position. Due to FAA regulation (Part 61.113), we cannot provide compensation for flight costs even if you are a commercial rated pilot.