Our service depends on volunteers willing to give up time to help someone in need. Some positions are backstage roles supporting the organization, while other roles involve being directly involved in someone's escape from abuse.
Together We Can End Violence
Email volunteer@FamiliestoFreedom.org to schedule your orientation where you'll learn more about Families to Freedom and how each position connects to our mission. Positions posted below are our greatest current need. If you have a unique skill or interest that's outside of the positions below, let us know for consideration.
Is It Safe?
The most common question we hear from volunteer candidates is asking about the safety from abusers. We do not pick up clients from their home, and we are not on the scene during police activity. We require that our travelers be in a safe place for pickup such as a police station, fire station, counselor's office, a shelter, a business with security, or other safe place. During volunteer training we discuss contingency planning and how we prepare for all lengths of travel. For specific questions ahead of orientation, call us at 972-885-7020 or email volunteer@FamiliestoFreedom.org.
This is our most high demand position! Volunteer drivers contribute in the most direct and personal way. Taking a day from your routine to drive a person in need to a new home or to a city with shelter could be literally a lifesaving way to serve.
- Drive survivors of domestic violence from a Dallas location to a destination (across North Texas or to another state)
- Travel usually begins in the morning
- Some trips require driving at night
- Some trips take a full day to arrive and a full day to return
- Some trips are a short 1-3 hour commitment
Families to Freedom provides the vehicle and travel expenses, and we’ll assist you with your trip along the way. We need drivers for all days and hours; you choose your days and range of travel. Must be age 21 or older. Email volunteer@FamiliestoFreedom.org or call 972-885-7020 for more information about this position. Orientation is about 90 minutes to ensure this is a good fit for your schedule and interest. Training and onboarding takes about 3 hours conducted in our office.
Here's a fun way to serve the community! We need help planning various fundraising events throughout the year. Ideally we need a volunteer or two comfortable with:
- Drafting invitations and announcements
- Making conversation with new people
- Creating PowerPoint presentations
- Navigating around Excel spreadsheets
- Crafting social media campaigns
- Managing rental agreements
- Managing projects that spans weeks or months
Must be willing to commit to attending on event days. Training consists of learning about domestic abuse issues, learning our branding standards, articulation for our mission and services, and preparation for specific event day roles.
You can play a part in helping us secure suitcases, car seats and travel materials donated by community members. This position involves:
- Picking up donated suitcases, car seats, and other travel items from area donors porches and businesses
- Screening the suitcases and seats for defects
- Delivering donations to our office or to an Operations Assistant
Duties can be performed on a schedule you set! Volunteers to this role should expect to use their own vehicle. Reimbursement for miles driven in this role is available. Must be able to lift 20 pounds and must be physically fit to handle walking up steps. Email volunteer@FamiliestoFreedom.org or call 972-885-7020 for more information about this position. Orientation is about 90 minutes to ensure this is a good fit for your schedule and interest. Training and onboarding takes less than 1 hour conducted in our office.
You can inspire and inform others at public events! This is a great position for anyone upbeat, enthusiastic and outgoing! Role duties include:
- Identify public events with free or low cost table or booth space
- Table decoration setup and take-down
- Greet table visitors to inform & engage about our mission
- Act as an advocate for domestic violence discussions with survivors
- Report on event results
This position requires weekend availability and sometimes weekday evenings. Details provided during orientation. Email volunteer@FamiliestoFreedom.org or call 972-885-7020 for more information about this position.
Do you love obssessing over vehicles? We need help with our small fleet of vehicles to ensure drivers and clients have a good travel experience. Activities include:
- Cleaning the interior
- Ensuring exterior is reasonably clean
- Managing scheduled maintenance dates
- Taking the vehicles in for repairs and maintenance when needed
- Managing registration and inspections
- Managing usage logs to be up-to-date
Volunteer must be age 21 or older, have a clean driving record, and be available on short notice for some fleet management needs. Email volunteer@FamiliestoFreedom.org or call 972-885-7020 for more information about this position. Orientation is about 90 minutes to ensure this is a good fit for your schedule and interest. Training and onboarding takes about 2 hours conducted in our office parking lot.