Fuel Assistance Program
Traveling across the state or the country requires gas, and that's not always affordable for someone leaving an abusive relationship. Studies report more than 90% of domestic abuse cases involve some degree of financial control and abuse. If saving cash for fuel is not an option, consider the risk of using a debit or credit card shared with the abuser. They may monitor your transactions to know where you are going, or disable the card's use leaving you stuck. Families to Freedom now offers a solution!
Fueling Your Freedom
Your fuel card works like a debit card at a majority of gas stations across the United States. The card is only valid for the purchase of regular unleaded fuel (or diesel) at select gas station brands. Your card is activated to be used during your trip for an expected amount of fuel needed. Once the card is used in or near your destination, the card will be deactivated.
Criteria for Fuel Assistance
Our Fuel Assistance Program is only available to those leaving the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex area in North Texas going to a destination 200 miles or more away. To ensure your card is prepared and we can get material to you safely, you must:
- request a card in advance by at least one day
- be willing to meet in a safe location
- have a police advocate or domestic violence shelter representative call us confirming your need
- be willing to let us verify your destination receiving person, whether it's friend, family or a shelter
- be packed and leaving town the same day the fuel card is provided.
Pay it forward to the next caller by mailing your card back to be reused. We'll provide a pre-addressed envelope to make it easier for you.
We want your relocation plans to be successful. To help you, we can provide some assistance before and during your trip.
- Before Your Trip
- Basic route planning
- Resources at your destination area
- While On the Road (upon request)
- Traffic information
- Weather information
- Locating a fuel station
- Directions if lost