Fuel Assistance Program
Traveling across the state or the country requires gas, and that's not always affordable for someone leaving an abusive relationship. Studies report more than 90% of domestic abuse cases involve some degree of financial control and abuse. If saving cash for fuel is not an option, consider the risk of using a debit or credit card shared with the abuser. An abusive partner may monitor your transactions to know where you are going, or disable the card's use leaving you stuck. Families to Freedom offers a solution!
Fueling Your Freedom
We offer two ways to help you drive far away to safety:
- Enough fuel to drive to available shelter located 50+ miles away going outside of the DFW Metroplex or Greater Houston area
- A fuel card to drive to another state for family or shelter
The fuel card works like a debit card at a majority of gas stations across the United States. The card is only valid for the purchase of regular unleaded fuel (or diesel) at most gas station brands. Food and mechanical needs will be your responsibility.
For those traveling to another state with a fuel card, we will monitor fuel transactions to ensure you arrive before the card is deactivated. Once the card is used in or near your destination, the card will be deactivated.
Only one vehicle can be fueled for your relocation. Families to Freedom cannot rent a moving vehicle for your furniture. "Big rig" moving trucks are not eligible for fuel assistance. Our volunteers are not able to move your furniture or help load items for liability reasons.
Criteria for Fuel Assistance
Our Fuel Assistance Program is only available to those leaving the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex or Houston metro area going to a destination an hour or more outside of the city. To qualify you must:
- Be planning to leave, or have recently left, an abusive intimate partner relationship or violent family member
- Request service in advance by at least one day
- Be willing to meet at a gas station of our choice in or near Dallas-Ft. Worth or Houston
- Have a civic professional confirm your need such as law enforcement, shelter counselor, medical professional, CPS social worker, etc.
- Be willing to let us verify your destination receiving person, whether it's friend, family or a shelter
- Must be willing to disclose vehicle information before travel including the metal license plate (unless using a rental vehicle)
- Be packed and leaving town immediately after the fuel is provided
Pay it forward to the next caller by mailing your card back to be reused. We'll provide a pre-addressed envelope to make it easier for you.
We Support Moving Away
For those with the means to rent a moving truck, we will support the cost of gas needed to drive far away. To keep our fuel assistance program available for all the 40+ victims who will need this service through the year, we must limit the size of moving trucks we can support. Truck sizes 17 foot or less are supported for fuel assistance. Only one vehicle can receive fuel assistance; therefore, if you have another vehicle also traveling, you must choose which one vehicle will receive fuel assistance. There is no size limit if you are towing a trailer behind your own vehicle. Families to Freedom cannot rent your moving truck. Volunteers and staff are unable to assist with packing or loading. For more information or a discussion to help you plan your exit, call our hotline at 833-903-SAFE during normal business hours.
The above image is intended as a visual guide and is in no way an endorsement for any brand or company.
We want your relocation plans to be successful. To help you, we can provide some assistance before and during your trip.
- Before Your Trip
- Safety plan guidance
- Referral to other agencies for non-travel needs
- While On the Road (upon request)
- Traffic information
- Weather information
- Locating a fuel station
- Directions if lost